Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Before

This is a little behind schedule for a variety of reasons, but here's the first installment of a two-part series featuring my apartment. Now, whether or not I will be staying at this apartment for more than a month is sort of up in the air, but I thought I would write about it anyway.

When I first arrived in Bangkok it was about 3 in the morning and I was taken straight to my new place. I was tired, jet-lagged and hot- my first impressions of the place were as follows:
1. It looks like jail.
2. There's a flush toilet, that's good.
3. It's pretty big. That's good.
4. No bugs. That's good.
5. It has a fridge. That's good.
6. It still looks like jail.

One of the first things I did, after making an (unsuccessful) attempt to unpack, was to take pictures of this place I now call "home".

I wanted to share with people back home, make them feel a little more lucky to be where they are...



The bed...with some stuff on it...it's two twin beds put together to make a "king" bed. Lovely headboard attached to the wall, don't you think?



The view across the room. Nice and stark, just the way I like it...or not. Did I mention this place is called "Grand Hi-Tech Resort"? Yep, this is what passes for grand, hi-tech and resort in Bangkok, apparently. The door on the left goes to my balcony, the one on the right to the bathroom, as seen below...



The shower has a water heater, which sometimes doesn't work very well, but is nice when I'm not digging a frigid shower.



The toilet may be flush, but that doesn't do any good when the water's not turned on...which it wasn't when I got in, so my toilet didn't work until the next morning. That hose on the left? "Butt washer" is how it was described to me. So far its function has been "leaky annoyance" and "floor sprayer".

The washroom threw me at first because everything is in there all together- the shower is about a foot from the toilet. Makes sense, really, for space, to have it all in there, but the toilet cover gets pretty wet when I shower.

Now, keep in mind this is only the FIRST installment of this series. Coming up when I have the time: After. Don't get the impression I'm suffering or living in squalor (or jail). After is much better, but you'll have to wait to see...

Until next time,
Heather

2 Comments:

  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger TheCanerdian said…

    All this stress, and she still had time to take pictures.... hmmm... sketchy...

    :D

    Hope it goes well for you, big sis.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Misnomer said…

    The "butt washer"'s use if obvious. It's a deterrent for anyone kicking down the door to play a practical joke while you're on the can.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home