Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

All Couped Up

Yesterday was declared a "holiday" as a result of a military coup, which has overthrown Prime Minister Thaksen. Seriouly. The results of this action: there will be a change in government, probably for the best (Thaksen is not popular and considered corrupt); my Thai baht are worth a little less; my beach destinations will likely be a little less crowded; CNN is having a fit over those tank pictures, and the BBC is following suit, causing many back home to get the wrong impression; and I got a day off work.
Today: back to normal.
Tomorrow: Like it never happened...
Apparently, this is something of a normal occurence in Thailand. It is peaceful and quick; there were about 12 hours of "action" and now everything is just the way it was (except in Thaksen's life- "Hey man, where's all my stuff?" "Oh, sorry Thaksen, while you were out at the UN conference we cleaned out your desk. Better luck next time." "Aw jeez!"). So don't worry: I am safe. And I'm back to work.

Until next time,
Heather

1 Comments:

  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger TheCanerdian said…

    Hmm... I'd like to think Mr. Thaksen won't have anything terrible happen to him.. but that seems unlikely.

    I believe all the rest, tho. What was the statistic? 25 coups in the last 50 years or something?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home