Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Vacation Day Five: Takin' It Easy

After we had climbed the mountain, we were very sore and decided that it would be in our best interest to try and take it easy for at least a day. Ryan Q was still in Borneo and he went with Alisa and I to one of the islands off the coast of Kota Kinabalu for some snorkeling and beaching. There are about five islands easily accessed from KK via small ferries that leave throughout the day and are very reasonably priced. Malaysia is great in its ease of navigation and the amount of English that people speak; that, and the people are incredibly helpful and friendly.

We got to Manukan Island in the early afternoon and did a bit of swimming, snorkeling and sunning. It is quite nice and I really enjoy being able to snorkel right off of beaches rather than having to take a boat. It wasn't the best snorkeling that I've ever done but the water was refreshing and it was the perfect, low-key sort of activity that we needed to relax after our adventure.

There are a lot of great-looking resorts on Manukan, and if we had more time (and probably more money) I think that we would have looked into staying overnight. I was especially interested in the huge barbecue lunches that the restaurants were offering their guests...
That evening we had some delicious dinner back at Little Italy and went for massages to try and work some of the kinks out. I can't say that I particularly enjoyed mine, I thought that my masseuse understood me when I told her that I was sore and I wanted a light massage, and that she had to avoid my BLACK TOE because it was HURT, but she reamed on my muscles and yanked on my toe anyway. Oh well.
The adventure continues with the next episode: White Water Rafting!!!

Until next time,
Heather

1 Comments:

  • At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That shot of the school of fish is really neat. Was that just from the shore? And what is this about a BLACK! toe?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home