Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Immigration Day

On Tuesday I went to the Ministry of Education and Immigration to get my visa extended and get my work permit. I didn't really do much- just sat around all day and signed a few papers about halfway through the day. I got bored driving around Bangkok so I started taking pictures. There are some really interesting things you can see just driving around...



On one bridge there were elephant heads on all the pillars. Sort of reminded me of the lion bridge in Calgary, only there really ARE elephants in Bangkok.




The King's crest and picture, as well as pictures of other members of the royal family, are displayed around the city. I'm not sure if they are markers of government buildings or if they can be placed anywhere.



We passed an important looking building with a moat around it. Just in case of raids by passing non-aquatic armies.



There are temples throughout Bangkok- some are larger and more impressive than others. All have beautiful detailing in the architecture.




Probably the most common sight when driving around Bangkok is the taxi. Often moving in herds, the taxi comes in many colours and shapes. Some are healthy and full of vitality while others suffer from breathing problems and physical blemishes. Fun game: how many cabs can you get in one photo? I figure if I am ever in an office tower overlooking a street I can get over a hundred in a picture. Can't do it at the airport or at a tourist trap- that's cheating!!!



Another common sight around Bangkok is the tuk tuk. I've taken two tuk tuks and both times I wondered why afterwards. The air in Bangkok is thick...some might say with mystery and intrigue, I say with carcinogens and smog. Tuk tuks are open to the streets of Bangkok, the polluted plague of which riders of tuk tuks are forced to breathe. Apparently tuk tuk drivers aren't the most considerate users of the road: at first, I thought these two tuk tuks were somehow connected, like one was towing the other. Nope. The rear tuk tuk had simply run into the one in front. Neither party seemed to care, so I suppose no harm, no foul...



My last treat for you, the viewer, is this great poster. Now, I'm not really sure what this gun-toting vampire is selling, but I'll take ten!!!

Until next time,
Heather

2 Comments:

  • At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI Heather,
    Auntie Bonnie here. Sorry haven't written sooner. We started the new school year here so have been busy. I moved schools but still teaching Gr. 1. Big news, Mikaela just got her license! Need any more tuktuk drivers? Amazed at the no. of cars/taxis/tuktuks, etc. Buildings/monuments, etc are unreal. Who cleans all that stuff? Love hearing about all your adventures. Popo says its like being there when she reads your blog. I agree.
    Love, Auntie Bonnie

     
  • At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi heather.....so....looks like your having fun. Stay safe and take care.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home