Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Insectariums

Today in the P51 and P52 classes the students made insectariums and caught bugs in the garden to put in them. It was a pretty fun activity, and it didn't rain! My bag of soil, which I left outside between the classes for all of 10 minutes, vanished, and my vocal chords are probably no longer able to support the singing of a high-octave aria (another life goal off the list) but overall I was very pleased.



I was really impressed that no one complained about having to catch insects- all the students were really excited. Some even wanted to take their insects home, which I vetoed: I'm not sure parents would want me sending insects home, plus I'm not sure the insects would make it.







Where can we find insects to observe? How strange...there are none in the fountain...



Pookie caught an ant...other students caught centipedes and spiders, one student managed to catch a fairly large beetle. One student was convinced she could catch a fly, but eventually settled for an ant.



Apparently, Ball caught something that surprised Som.



Pee examines his specimen.



The two classes were wearing different uniforms today because P52 had gym class today. How convenient for my picture-taking!







It's funny...the two classes have equal numbers of students, but I have about 20 boys in P51 and 10 girls, while in P52 I have the opposite: 20 girls and 10 boys. The classes are supposed to be divided according to academic standing, with P52 being the "higher" class (insert smug comment about female superiority here, should you be so inclined), but I don't see a huge difference between the classes. The majority of the students fall somewhere on a reasonably narrow range of skill.



Insectariums were a success! Right, Jay Jay?

Until next time,
Heather

3 Comments:

  • At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Heather,
    We (me, Sharon, Melody, Kim) are in Calgary at your home (passing through on the way back from a conference in Missoula, Montana). Your mom made us supper and told us about your blog. We just finished reading all your entries (yes from the very beginning). We are impressed by your decorating skills and your ability to cook impressive meals with just a rice cooker and an electric frying pan. It seems that your are enjoying your adventure -- the year will go by very quickly. Bonnie is right -- you will have memories that will last a lifetime.

    Take care and all the best -- miss seeing your cheery smile in Calgary.

    Peace and love,

    Unc B and Aunt S

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Heather,
    Auntie Bonnie here! Cool pics of your students! They are so cute. If you can get some panty hose and hangers, next time you can make some nets to catch flying bugs altho I bet at the markets they prolly have little fish nets. Do you get a budget to buy stuff for your class?
    That was so nice that they have a staff appreciation day for you. We have it too but not quite the big deal that they do over there. That is so sweet that the little boy bowed in front of you for so long - he must have a major crush on "Ms. Harder". Wish American kids could have manners like that!
    Keep up the good work! You are making a great impression on your kids.
    Sorry but I thought your beef stroganoff was raw squid and stuff too. Will have to get your mom to make it for us when she and your dad come and visit. Gotta find out what we've been missing!
    Take care and cousins say "Hi!".
    Love, Auntie Bonnie

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Aw I'm jealous that you might have stroganoff, Auntie Bonnie!
    As for a school budget, I can request materials out of the supply room (limited selection, and sometimes I get rejected for various reasons); I can also put in special requests but I have to ask more than a week in advance and even then I am not guaranteed anything. Generally if I want to do something that uses more than scissors, paper and glue I go out and get the materials myself. Stuff is fairly cheap so I don't mind too much, but I wish it was easier to access what I need. For example, the little plastic cups the students are using in the insectarium project I purchased, as well as the saran wrap and the elastic bands to secure it. None of those things is available at school, and I hardly ever plan anything specific as far in advance as over a week. What I would really like is if there was a "junk" box, with paper towel rolls and plastic lids and odds and ends; there's nothing like that here, it being a brand new school and the Thais being a people not interested in reusing things or compromising aesthetics.
    Anyway, thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming...

    To All Relatives: if you could send me your addresses, that would be great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home