Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Bring on the Chalk

There's actually not a stick of chalk in the school: all whiteboards. That's okay, because I can still post my long awaited, much anticipated post about school!!!!
There may be more than one, because coming up on Thursday is Pay Respect to the Teacher Day, which is supposed to be quite the do.
In the meantime, I'll get up what I finally put together today...


Welcome to school!
















We have a really big flag!
















We teach your children English!!! Or at least, that's what the sign says!!!

















The landscaping is quite incredible!!! It looks like that's where a lot of the budget goes and that's why the teachers are rationed computer paper and supplies!!!


Check out the awesome fountain!!! Wow!!!


And look at the swell playground!!!


And check out this amazing room, devoted entirely to science!!! Too bad there are not enough chairs for the students!!! And not enough microscopes!!! And four outlets in the whole room! And no paper towel!!! And one tiny garbage can!!! And none of that matters half the time because the science teacher hasn't been given a key for some reason!!! Ha ha ha but doesn't it LOOK great?!?!?



Our teachers are the best!!! Just check out Miss Heather- she's a laugh and a half!!!

Sorry- that post turned out more sarcastic than I thought it would. I guess I'm just channelling some of the frustration I have felt at school...it is a lot of fun and the kids are great, but it can be really hard to deal with some of the policies and procedures of the school, the communication problems and the general inconsistencies in expectation I've encountered. I suppose with any new job there are issues, and they are multiplied by the cultural differences here.

I'll have another post with pictures of my kids soon!

Until next time,
Heather

3 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Lady,
    finally figured out to send yuo a freakin note! Looks lik eyour having a good time... glad to see there really is a teacher job being done, I was startingt o wonder????

    Sake care, Shandi

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Misnomer said…

    Great updates. The pictures are awesome - I laughed, wasn't sure if I'm supposed to laugh but I did anyway.

    You really look like a teacher, except for the winking-peace-sign thing.

     
  • At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Heather as Teacher,
    Niiiice school! Yeah, I hear you about frustrations at school. It's worldwide so don't feel alone. You just learn to deal with it and go from there. Hey, if the science room is under lock and key just take the science elsewhere - like that way cool landscaping! Check out what's lurking undeneath. Hmmm, wonder what they're hiding? Use the playground equipment to study force and motion, etc. I know you'll come up with some great ideas! Hey, you could use all your cool bug bites as science experiments! Which bug gives you the biggest bang for the bite? (I didn't mean for that to sound rude!) Take care! Love, Auntie Bonnie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home