Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Bangkok Bites

...actually, this most recent picture of damaged goods is courtesy of some creature in Ko Samet. Apparently, bloodthirsty bugs like the taste of my flesh more than anyone else's, and I react like crazy to the bites.
Like so:



My ankle has swollen up and feels like I sprained it, but I didn't, so I can only assume that the bite has left some kind of exotic poison in my leg and the result is pain and swelling. Yuck.
Don't worry, though: Everyone else has been pretty sick and I managed to avoid that. If my ankle doesn't improve in the next little while I'll see the friendly school nurse, who probably laughs about how delicate those farang (foreign) teachers are.

Until next time,
Heather

3 Comments:

  • At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Heather,
    Nasty Bite! Yeah, you're not used to these bugs. You'll eventually build up some immunity. In the meantime, try ice and you could always try some antihistamine (topical or internal kind). Or just grin and bear it :-(. Caution, watch out for centipedes. Those are super NASTY! Hope this helps.
    Love, Auntie Bonnie X's & O's

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger TheCanerdian said…

    Nasty. Did it get you in your sleep, or what? For some obscene reason, I was talking to my boss today about bugs. The human mind is a morbid thing.

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    I don't know when I received this glorious trophy of festering putrocity...I think the bugs here have anaesthetic in their saliva or something because obviously things are munching away at me and I don't realize it until later when my ankle is disgusting. Oh, and Mom: don't worry. It's looking MUCH better; I'll stop posting gross pictures if they worry you so much. Auntie Bonnie: Thanks for the tip. I saw a massive millipede on the island and ants about the size of a quarter, but no centipedes so far...although I'll be on watch now!!! XOXO

     

Post a Comment

<< Home