Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Food For Thought

I have a big huge post coming in the next few days, but it's not finished yet. To tide you over until then, here's a little side-post.

We went somewhere AMAZING tonight. I had heard of this place, this wonderful place, where dreams come true...



FOODLAND.

The picture is a little shaky from excitement, and the fact that the flash was taking too long to charge so I took it without.

Foodland is this incredible grocery store with EVERYTHING. Salsa, relish, cheese, sour cream, steak, macaroni and cheese...it has it all. At decent prices, too. I bought everything I need to make some really great meals- pork burgers, chili, burritos and tacos- plus some other delicious ingredients for less than $60. For imported "Western" food like Feta cheese, cream of mushroom soup and herb salad dressing, that's really cheap. I was ecstatic.

The service there is great, too. These two young guys unloaded all our groceries, packed them all, wheeled our carts outside and then hailed us a cab. They also put all the groceries into the cab for us. Steph and I were really impressed...and Foodland is open 24 hours a day. Imagine that: if I get a hankering for some honey garlic ribs at 4 in the morning, I don't have to go without. No more! Now I can live the dream...

I found this item at Foodland. I thought it deserved posting. It's another case of "If you don't get why, don't ask".



They're pea shoots. That's not what's funny, though. Notice the brand name...

Anyway.

I made this dinner the other night in another attempt to emulate my mother. I think I did a bang-up job. The tofu here is FANTASTIC. It's called "hard tofu", which almost put me off, but I'm glad I gave in. I had the leftovers tonight and it was two nights of good eating at Chez Heather...



Until next time,
Heather

2 Comments:

  • At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Heather,
    It's funny that you made tofu yesterday cause I made tofu as well. Heard from Dad about your bug rice episode and I hope you are being careful about storage and not buying too much stuff at FOODLAND! Hey, we have foodland here too. I wonder if it is the same? Love, Mom

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI Heather,
    Auntie Bonnie here. Well whaddaya know! We have Foodland here too! Wonder if it's the same too? I like to call it the land of Food since it has everything foodwise too. Must say yours is far superior when it comes to the hired help. But then again, maybe the two young guys were just out to impress you?! Hey you are quite the gourmande! Very impressive eats you got there. Lucky you have such a great role model in your mom. I, on the other hand, am quite the pathetic cook. Actually apathetic is more the word. I'd rather just eat! - like anything! Lucky Uncle Michael likes to cook or we'd all starve!
    Take care! Love, Auntie Bonnie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home