Heather's Thairy

Heather's journey to Bangkok, Thailand: a year of adventure!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Safe

What a shock when at dinner on New Year's Eve, on peaceful and tranquil Ko Tarutao in the South, we received an urgent phone call from Chris in Bangkok.

7 bombs, he said.

6 people dead.

Many more injured.

A few more phone calls and we made sure people close to us knew we were okay and that others from our crew were also safe.

We later learned that it was 6 bombs, 3 fatalities and over 30 injured. Some of the locations of the blasts were places I have been.

Sitting meters from the one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, enjoying a meal with three very good friends, basking in the wonder that is this country that I have fallen in love with...and bombs are exploding in my city.

It is times like these that I remember that this is not home. Not for me. For those who call Thailand home, I feel sympathy for the actions of those that would tarnish this place.

I am safe. All those I know here are safe. I have confidence that we will remain that way.

Until next time,
Heather

1 Comments:

  • At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Heather,
    SO glad you are safe and your friends are safe too! How very scary and hope that this is the only incident like this and that people come to their senses.

    Wishing you a SAFE and HAPPY New Year to you and all your friends there. Take GOOD care and if you ever have the urge to spend Christmas and New Years in someplace warm, come HERE!!!
    You know that you can always come and stay with us anytime!
    Lots of Love, Auntie Bonnie and Ohana (family).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home